Monday, October 8, 2007

Profile Experiment | Tor


I downloaded and installed Tor, the anonymous networking program. Unlike other programs, Tor asks the minimum amount of personal information, since it is not important and necessary. The website says the individual usage of Tor is to avoid tracking system from the websites. It is quite different from my understanding of Freehaven, the precedent of Tor - According to my research, Freehaven requires to contribute storage space as a server to store the information. Maybe it is different when I run my own server.


One of the interesting feature in the software bundle is 'Tor Network Map', which shows the physical location of the servers on the global map. Again, I am not really sure how much of anonymity is achieved when the information of location is released, especially aided by graphics.

What I need to do to hide myself in the network is to figure out Hidden Service. Without that, even though Tor is running, I am not really using or participating inside of the network. This is the message I got.


I am still getting used to the interface. One of my concern is whether I can run a server from school network or not, since they are tracking my daily use of network.

No comments: